Home

Saturday 5 July 2014

Burning Rivers: Landscape design and Sculpting

While I am still not entirely happy with the process I am using for my high ground on the campaign map, I am limited in materials and time for the moment and it is just a dumb map before I build the bigger campaign map.

So I gave the tracing a good think, and decided that I would just try and skip a stage.

I first traced the river systems on wax paper.  Including the high ground South Eastern section, I will place high ground around the rivers and not place rivers on the high ground itself.


It then dawned on me that I could use the Weller tool and trace the markings on the paper.  This would then transfer the heat to the foam and we are done.


Tests look good.

So I went to work on the major map, using the narrow straight tip in the Weller kit.







And after I was done the map pages lifted to reveal a map board that only needed a few tough up and it was done.  In hindsight I should have used the narrow "pencil" tip like point and it would damage the foam and paper less.


I marked the river crossings with black marker and with a quick paint job on the rivers taking care to not paint bridges I was done.

Following the same principles with the rivers on the base board, I flipped over the trace paper and marked a mirror copy of the base board into the bottom of the second layer board.  This would result in me being able to cut the foam with a hot wire cutter and know I am cutting out the river valleys.  When I was done I trimmed down the foam to about half size to make sculpting easier and pinned it to the base board to be sure.


A bit more wire cutting to trim down the hills and I was ready to start my sculpting.




Grabbing the Weller Kit hobby tool again (this is sounding more and more like an infomercial for Weller, but the tool is useful), I placed in the flat circle bit and went to work melting back the edges.




And here I am half way completed and stopping to write up this post while its still fresh.


No comments:

Post a Comment