Home

Wednesday 2 July 2014

Project: Waterloo Campaign

I am planning two new projects, the first is a 6mm Quatre Bras battlefield that uses the scenario in my battle report, and the other (this project) is for a Campaign map for our 28mm Empire, Waterloo Campaign due to start in Jan.

So for the Waterloo campaign project I plan to do two boards, the first a smaller model of the final map using scrap materials from my other projects.  This will help me get the scales right and try a few new techniques.

This project will be different than the Salamanca board;
  • No cloth covering, I will paint and flock the landscape using clumped foliage for forests.  Mainly because we will only be moving on roads as such the flock will not be worn down.
  • No figures will be used on the board, pins will track army movements.
  • The function of the map could be covered by a paper map mounted on a cork or foam board.  But were is the fun in blogging about that :)
The Plan

I have located a couple of maps that I will be using to determine layout and terrain.

Firstly Napoleon 4th Edition board game map is perfect for our campaign (I have played the game but here it's a great way to play this campaign period).  This gives me great forest, roads and river layout however due to the lack of contour information  I have to look elsewhere.



A simple web search found me a nice simple high level topographic map of Belgium <here>



I have then roughly cut out the campaign section to work out the hills,

To a final plan that look like this.








No comments:

Post a Comment