Home

Sunday 15 June 2014

Battlefield Salamanca

As a first project I have decided to build the terrain for the Battle of Salamanca.

After browsing the web for hours and finding little that I could comfortably use to design the terrain I ended up with a mix of online maps, Google maps and a fantastic book by Donald Featherstone (rest his soul) "Campaigning with the Duke of Wellington & Fetherstone"


Given the materials I decided to use, the plan was to attempt as close a "feel" of the terrain rather than the precise topography, also I didn't have the exact map and all the ones I could find seems to have good contour but poor forest marked up or vice verse.

What I learnt - Find a map you like the looks of and build a table that will wargame well over a terrain table that is precise to the battle.  Once I decided on the factors I wanted this field to portray it was easy enough to tweak my design even on the fly.

What I should have done - When planning a board, establish the layers of terrain that you are wanting to build, say three layers base, 1st (middle) and 2nd (top).  Depending on the scale, you should build up the layers.  This will assist greatly when applying the felt and cloth covers as the gradient will not be to steep.

I also found this blog that was fantastic in providing me some on the ground images.
http://walkingportugalandspain.blogspot.com.au/search/label/10%20-%20Salamanca

Also this link has a panorama from the Greater Arapilies.
http://www.peninsularwar.org/pan_salamanca.htm



No comments:

Post a Comment