Home

Wednesday 18 June 2014

Step One: Cut base boards and transfer the design

Now I had a design I thought would work.  Time to go shopping.

First I needed to get the Foam for that I would use as the base and contour materials.

I found a place near my work that sold Extruded Polystyrene foam.  At the time of purchase cost $27.50 per sheet (2400mm x 600mm).  So with three sheets I would have enough to cover my board area twice, base and 1 contour.

+$82.50

They kindly cut it in as close to half as could be guessed as it wasn't going to fit in my car at 2.4m length.

Once home I went about cutting the boards to length.  After hacking away with a hacksaw, Stanley knife and serrated blade I gave up on that notion.  The edge was too rough to keep straight edged also I would not be able to get the hills and contours worked right with a steak knife, it would be a mess.

So several weeks later I invested in a Hot Wire Cutter.  Wanting the knife model and not the wire however no one I could find had the knife in AU.  Woodland Scenic's Hot Wire Cutter from Hobbyrama in Stafford.

+$80

No I was cooking.  Boards cut in no time with a straighter edge and I was away.  Do look up using and caring for Hot Wire cutters on YouTube before you start your work, YouTube is your friend.

Design was then drawn on the three boards now cut 1m long and kept at the 60cm wide (native board width)

Step Cost = $162.50

Total Cost = $162.50

Time Taken ~1 Hour (once I used the wire cutter.)

No comments:

Post a Comment