Home

Wednesday 18 June 2014

Step Two: Shape terrain layers

Now armed with a hot wire cutter I was able to make short work of this step, that is I was progressing well but far from quickly.

When cutting the layers you must give careful consideration to the scale your working with, you need to keep the grade of the slope at a level that figures can stand on and mark up.  This is why so many hills you see on the wargames tables are steps, its difficult to get this right.  To help I kept a couple of figures handy to test out on each slope.

Once done I placed the layers on the base boards with pins (OMG get lots of these you will need them, total life saves on your back!!!).

Done.


What I Learnt - Well I basically balls this up entirely.   Two points of cross over on the boards is not to much of a problem, but I later change it anyway.  It does mean that I am limited to alternative layouts.  So if you side by side the design, initial terrain layout and the final boards if looks like 3 different boards.

Also due to the two high points on the board being 50mm each above the base so two foam layers high, I did not build up enough around them, this made applying the felt and cloth more difficult than it needed to be.

Additional costs were only some pins and electricity.

Step Cost = $0

Total Cost = $162.5

Time taken ~4 hours. (5 Hours Total)

No comments:

Post a Comment