Home

Wednesday 18 June 2014

Step Five: Preparing and Painting

With all three boards covered and pinned I was ready to prep them for airbrushing.

More shopping, Bunnings for some Timber Mate putty (one container is more than you will ever need) and Hobbyrama to grab paints, thinner and an airbrush.

Just a bit poorer but happy that I have 90% of what I need to spend on this project spent now I was happy to get into the last big phase.

I grabbed a NEO/IWATA Airbrush-G for $99.95 which has a double action trigger.  Do your research first before buying the wrong thing.

I grabbed Tamiya paints and thinner as I was comfortable with using them.


A mate lent me his compressor so that saved me $150 which I am grateful for.

First off I applied the putty to the river on board 3 with my finger, no need for anything harsher.


Now I was ready to paint.  I started with the Flat Earth XF-52 as I felt that this colour was the closest to the next shade up from my cloth colour.  I applied a light coating to 75% of the board, keeping the hills and forest areas clear.  (sorry I didn'g grab a photo of that stage)

After I was done there I applied a coat of Red Brown XF-64 to the rises of the hills and across the top in a rough pattern to help them stand out from the base level.


Flat Green XF-5 was then added to the areas that would have forest on or near.  I still had not settled on a foresting method yet but I did know where I was planning to have them.


The last step was to use Hull Red XF-9 on the areas that would be dry and high points of the board, the Greater and Lesser Arapiles.  On this step I think I got a bit carried away but its dry land so I saw it as being more rough and rockier in its terrain.


It looks much better at eye level.


Step Cost = $129.70 ($99.95 NEO/IWATA Airbrush-G, $15.80 ($3.95ea) 4xAcrylic Paint, $13.95 Thinner) 

Total Cost = $386.85

Time Taken ~2 Hours (13 Hours Total)


No comments:

Post a Comment